/Vehicles/Allies/USA/01-LightTanks/T-37/File/T-37.htm | Up-dated:

 

T-37 Light Amphibious Tank

Durant les années vingt, les Soviétiques sentaient qu'ils avaient besoin d'un char léger amphibie capable de traverser des rivières pour poursuivre l'ennemi ou effectuer des missions de reconnaissance. Les Britanniques avaient ce genre de véhicule, le Vickers Carden-Lloyd A4E11 et les Russes achetèrent quelques uns en 1929 pour servir de base à leurs propres réalisations. Les deux premiers chars amphibies russes T-33 et T-41 furent conçus à l'usine n°47 près de Moscou. Le T-33 était quasi identique au modèle britannique, il avait environ le même poids et avait un équipage de 2 hommes. Le T-41 était plus large que le T-33 et avait de meilleures capacités de flottabilité. Cependant la la suspension Carden-Lloyd était défectueuse et le T-41 connaissait des problèmes d'étanchéité. Aucun des deux chars ne fut acceptés pour le service et pour la production.

During the years twenty, the Soviets felt that they needed an amphibious light tank able to cross rivers to follow the enemy or carry out reconnaissance missions. The Britishs had this vehicle kind, the Vickers Carden-Lloyd A4E11 and the Russians bought some an in 1929 to use basis to their own realizations. The two first Russian amphibious tanks T-33 and T-41 were conceived to the factory n°47 close to Moscow. The T-33 was almost the same as the British model, it had about it same weight and had a crew of 2 men. The T-41 was wider than the T-33 and had better capacities of buoyancy. Nevertheless it the suspension Carden-Lloyd was defective and the T-41 knew waterproofing problems. None of the two tanks was not accepted for the service and for the production.

 

Vickers Carden-Lloyd A4E11

T-33

 

T-41

 

 

Un nouveau design était nécessaire. On installa une nouvelle suspension de type Horstmann. On installa également une hélice à lames ajustables et un système de direction amélioré pour améliorer la mobilité du char dans l'eau. L'ensemble moteur-boîte de vitesse-transmission provenait du camion GAZ-AA dont la maintenance était facile. Des flotteurs en balsa furent installés au-dessus des chenilles pour améliorer la flottabilité. La caisse fut également renforcée et le système de direction pour l'hélice fut encore amélioré. La silhouette du char était atypique avec la tourelle monté à droite et le poste du pilote situé à gauche. Le moteur était placé à l'arrière, à droite. Les barbotins étaient à l'avant et la puissance leur parvenait de l'arrière via l'arbre de transmission.

A new design was necessary. One installed a new suspension type Horstmann. One installed equally a propellor to adjustable blades and a direction system improved to improve the mobility of the tank in water. The body engine-transmission-gearbox was originated truck GAZ-AA of which maintenance was easy. Floats in balsa wood were installed above the tracks to improve the buoyancy. The hull was equally reinforced and the direction system for the propellor again was improved. The outline of the tank was atypical with the turret mounted to right and the driver station situated to the left. The engine was placed to the back, to right. The sprocket-wheels were at the before and the power reached for them back through the driveshaft.

 

T-37

 

Hull front
Hull rear
src:Vincent Bourguignon

 

Hull left side and suspension
Rear deck
src:Vincent Bourguignon

 

Le nouveau design fut testé en 1933. Pendant 11 jours, un groupe de T-37 parcouru 1127 km sur terre et 966 km dans l'eau. Il fut accepté pour la production le 11 août 1943. Cependant le nouveau char fut encore modifié avant d'entrer en production sous le nom de T-37 plavaiuschiya (amphibie). La production débuta à la fin de 1933. Le T-37 fut également modifié durant sa production. Par exemple une coupole de commandant sera ajoutée (T-37A). A partir de 1935 l'assemblage était désormais fait par soudures afin d'augmenter l'étanchéité du char. En 1936, les flotteurs rempli de balsa furent supprimés. Des versions pour commandants furent également réalisés, les T-37TU, équipées de postes radio et d'une antenne-cadre autour de la caisse.

The new design was tested in 1933. During 11 days, a group of T-37 travelled 1127 km on ground and 966 km in water. It was accepted for the production August 11 1943. Nevertheless the new tank again was modified before entering in production under the name of T-37 plavaiuschiya (amphibious). The production started at the end of 1933. The T-37 was equally modified during its production. For example a commander cupola will be added (T-37A). From 1935 the assembly henceforth was done by weldings in order to increase the buoyancy of the tank. In 1936, the floats with balsa wood were eliminated. Versions for commanders were equally realized, the T-37TU, equipped wits radio stations and of an antenna framework around the hull.

 

T-37A

 

Le T-37 était transportable par air grâce aux bombardiers TB-1 et TB-3 (sous les ailes). Le T-37 servit de base pour un canon automoteur armé du canon anti-char 37 mm 1931 et d'une mitrailleuse DT de 7.62 mm coaxiale. Un projet, le SU-37, devait être armé avec le 45 mm modèle 1932 L/46. A la fin de la production en 1936, 1130 T-37 et T-37A avaient été fabriqués par l'usine n°37.

The T-37 was transportable by air thanks to the bombers TB-1 and TB-3 (under the wings). The T-37 was basis for a self-propelled gun armed with anti-tank canon 37 mm 1931 and a machine gun DT of 7.62 mm coaxial. A project, the SU-37, had to be armed with the 45 mm models 1932 L/46. At the end of the production in 1936, 1130 T-37 and T-37A had been made by the factory n°37.

 

Turret front & rear

src:Vincent Bourguignon

 

Le T-37 et le T-37A furent tous les deux versés dans les unités de reconnaissance de l'infanterie, de la cavalerie et des forces mécanisés durant les années 1939-1941 où ils furent utilisés contre les Finlandais et les Allemands. Le T-37 fut également utilisé en 1940 durant l'occupation de Bessarabia où il fut acheminé par des bombardiers TB-1 et TB-3.

The T-37 and the T-37A were both of them versed into reconnaissance unitis of the infantry, cavalry and mechanized forces during the years 1939-1941 where they were used against the Finnish and the Germans. The T-37 was equally used in 1940 during the occupation of Bessarabia where it was transported by bombers TB-1 and TB-3.

 

T-37

 

La Grande guerre patriotique sonna le glas pour le T-37 en tant que char de combat. Il fut par après utilisé pour des missions secondaires. Il avait été à l'origine conçu pour poursuivre l'ennemi par delà les rivières et pour des missions de reconnaissance. Il était raisonnablement mobile sur terre et dans l'eau. Notons que la rotation de l'hélice pouvait être inversé pour faire marche arrière en cas de danger dans l'eau. Les gros défauts de ce char était son faible blindage de 9 mm maximum, seulement efficace contre les balles et les éclats d'obus mais complètement inefficace contre les canons ennemis, et son faible l'armement seulement efficace contre l'infanterie ennemie. Les bataillons de char d'infanterie possédaient 38 chars légers alors que les bataillons blindés aéroportés devaient posséder en principe 50 chars légers (transport par bombardiers TB-3).

The Great patriotic war rung the toll for the T-37 as battle tank . It was by after used for secondary missions. It had been at the origin conceived to follow the enemy by beyond the rivers and for reconnaissance missions. It was reasonably mobile on ground and in water. Note that the rotation of the propellor could be inverted to do walks rear in case of danger in water. The big defects of this tank was its weak armor of 9 mm maximum, only effective against the bullets and the shell brightnesses but completely inefficient against the enemy's canons, and its weak armament only effective against the ennemy's infantry. The tank battalions of infantry possessed 38 light tanks while the armored airborne battalions had to possess 50 light tanks (transportation by bombers TB-3).

 

Variants

  • T-33: Prototype. Weighed 3 tons / 3.7 tons. Crew of two. Armament was one 7.62 mm MG. Armor was 7.9 mm / 7 - 9 mm thick. The 63 HP engine propelled it 45 kph
  • T-41: Prototype. It weighed 3.2 tons with a crew of two. There was a 7.62 mm MG. Armor was 4 - 9 mm thick. The T-41 was propelled by a 40 HP engine and could go 36 kph on land and 4 kph in water.
  • T-37 Light Tank: Based on the Vickers Carden-Lloyd. Communicated via flags.
  • T-37A Light Tank: These were a little longer and had floats attached on both sides. Communicated by flags.
  • T-37U Light Tank , T-37TU Light Tank : Tank commanders with hand-rail aerial around hull. The radios were to contact command in the rear.


Data

 

Drawings

 

Light Tanks

 

Sources:


Menu Medium Tanks Next Drawing Last Drawing Menu Light Tanks Menu Light Tanks Menu Light Tanks Menu Light Tanks Menu Medium Tanks Next Drawing Last Drawing